Wednesday 24 June 2009

bikes


Not really about learning , I was looking at my bike today , I have a venerable jawa with a side car . I rode motor bikes up to the late 1980s .When a crash led to me being unable to afford another one until i bought the aforementioned Jawa at a barn sale . Unfortunately I never took a test because at that time you could ride indefinitely on L plates if the bike was below 250 cc . I wish I had taken it then because believe me its a lot more complicated now . I am going for a combo as I am also older and need three rather than two wheels , and don't worry all the people who wish to tell me how bad combos are Ive had two before , yes on an L plate life was simpler then . I am trying to add an image of the bike but blogger doesn't seem to want me to. Is it harder to learn as you get older or is it harder to learn several things ? I don't seem to be finding the theory test too hard although I haven't taken the real thing yet . is it a case of use it or loose it ? I can set up, programme, and to some extent troubleshoot computers ,small networks and IT functions , yet am just about literate with a mobile phone . Is this evidence of" just in time learning"? I think so because my calender ,scheduling and notes were all on my laptop and /or palmtop. I didn't need to use my phone for anything except calls,so never assimilated the other uses . I was probably too lazy to move the instructions to long term memory . Is this one of the problems with just in time learning ,that by restricting learning to what you need, you are also restricting to some degree your awareness of other possibilities and other opportunities? The same could be said about just in case learning , for instance one of the reasons I bought a jawa is I know about their foibles and have quite a large amount of" just in case knowledge" of the specis ( yes and I still bought one ) but were my options limited because of my previous learning ? I know the photo is 2006 but I have been restoring it since.

No comments:

Post a Comment