Wednesday 26 January 2011

more thoughts


I have decided to ramp up my blogging , and visit the site more often. We have a couple of squatters in our garden .two collared doves have taken up more or less permanent residence . They are very tame and almost settle on your hand . They are mildly contemptuous of the dog and will sit on a fence post just out of reach andf coo at her , it drives her mad . Its funny to think that whenI was a child they were a very rare bird in England now I can see four or five by just looking out of the window . The news was interesting tonight apparently there is a chance that we may all be returning to the economic level of the fifties . The government seem to think that this is necessary to "save the economy " If we are going back half a century, who are they saving it for ??
Yet again I see that education especially higher education is being starved of funds , It might seem strange coming from a leftie like me ,but I believe that not everybody needs academic qualifications to do a worthwhile job , and be of value to society .My father was very kowlegeable and able at his job as a farm labourer, highly regarded by his employers and always did the job to the best of his ability :However I do believe very strongly that higher education should be based on merit and application .You want to save money ? then stop supporting the students of higher and further education that do not apply themselves , are never seen at lectures or in any place of study , but regard it as a right that they will get a qualification. Let there be less degrees and diplomas but let them mean that the student has worked and applied themselves . I once had a student ( not of nursing ) who took 3 years to do the first year of a course , as far as I know she is still in the system some 6 years later . Sorry rant of the day over.

No comments:

Post a Comment